Chicken is a staple for summer barbecues and pairing it with pineapple makes it even more summery. This BBQ Pineapple Chicken is sweet, and tangy and makes a perfect weeknight supper.
A Simple and Flavourful Recipe
This is a simple recipe that is adapted from the numerous Aloha Chicken recipes you can find online. It is grilled on the BBQ and can be ready in 30-40 minutes if you prepare the marinade the night before or even in the morning.
Letting the chicken marinade all day, allows the chicken to soak up more of the flavours of the marinade.
I like to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this recipe. Bone-in chicken breasts can also be used. I prefer skinless because it absorbs the marinade better than the skin on chicken. I have also made this using boneless, skinless chicken thighs. You can use your favourite cut of chicken to make this recipe.
The marinade has seven ingredients:
Pineapple Juice: unsweetened pineapple juice is used.
Ketchup: French’s is my choice because it is made in Canada from Canadian-grown tomatoes.
Soy Sauce: low sodium soy sauce is used because you want to taste the sweetness of the pineapple and with too much salt you would lose the sweetness
Brown sugar: the sweetness of the sugar compliments the pineapple
Hot Sauce: I usually use Frank’s hot sauce but sometimes I will swap out something hotter. It depends on the mood
Minced garlic and grated ginger: I always have them on hand. Sometimes if I am in a hurry I use jarred ginger and garlic that is already minced or grated.
BBQ Pineapple Chicken can be served in so many ways. Over rice. On top of a salad. Sliced in a wrap with vegetables.
When I make this using chicken thigh, I like to serve it on toasted buns with lettuce and tomatoes, and extra BBQ sauce. Topped with coleslaw, like my Apple Coleslaw, instead of lettuce and tomato is another great way to serve this chicken.
Also, a great chicken recipe to make for meal prepping.
BBQ Pineapple Chicken
- 6 chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup BBQ Sauce, for brushing chicken
- 1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp hot sauce
- Place all marinade ingredients in a large bowl and whisk together
- Add chicken breasts to marinade and turn to coat
- Let chicken marinade at least 2 hours to overnight
- Heat barbecue to medium
- Add chicken breasts to grill, season it with salt and pepper and close grill lid
- Cook for 7-10 minutes before turning and cooking additional 7-10 minutes
- When chicken reaches 155°F, brush with BBQ sauce, turn and brush sauce on other side
- Close lid and allow to cook to internal temperature of 165°F
- Remove from grill and allow to rest 5 minutes before serving
I love BBQ chicken. Pineapple is one of my favorite fruit. love the play on the pineapple flavor using pineapple juice and the hot sauce for the sweet and spicy taste. Great recipe.