Lots of lemon flavour in this Lemon Curd Cake Loaf. This recipe is easy to make and is ready in about an hour. The ingredients are ones I usually always have on hand.
Easy To Make and So Flavourful
The great thing about this recipe is that it is easy to make yet has so much flavour. The lemon flavour is very predominant in this Lemon Curd Cake Loaf.
This recipe is not for anyone looking for a mild lemon flavour. There is a lot of lemon flavour in this dessert.
The Ingredients For Lemon Curd Cake Loaf
Lemon Curd Cake Loaf uses ingredients I usually keep on hand.
The recipe uses 2 fresh lemons. You will need the zest and juice from these lemons.
When making this recipe, I usually use jarred lemon curd. This is because I don’t have the patience to make homemade lemon curd all the time.
My favourite lemon curd to use is President’s Choice Black Label. If you want to use homemade, it can be used in place of the jarred lemon curd.
Why Infuse the Sugar with Lemon Zest?
To make this recipe, the lemon zest is beaten with the sugars for a couple of minutes. This process allows the lemon flavour to infuse into the sugar.
By doing this, the lemon flavour is released and becomes more intense in the final product.
Serving and Storing
Serving this cake is easy. Slice the loaf and serve as it is with tea or coffee. Or even a glass of milk. In the summer, I serve this cake with iced tea or lemonade.
Keep the cake fresh by wrapping it in plastic wrap or in an air-tight container. It is best kept in the fridge if the entire loaf is not going to be consumed the day it is baked. The lemon curd may go bad if left out too long.
This cake is good both cold and at room temperature.
If you like this recipe, check out our Blueberry Lemon Loaf.
Lemon Curd Cake
- 1 Hand Mixer or Stand Mixer
- 1 9 x 5 inch loaf pan
- parchment paper, for easy removal from pan
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 2 lemons (zest and juice, divided) see notes
- ½ cup butter, softened, room temperature
- 4 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup lemon curd, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Line a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with parchment, or grease the pan well.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Add sugar and lemon zest to a large bowl, and using a mixer, beat on low for 2 to 3 minutes. (this infuses the sugar with lemon for a stronger taste)
- Beat butter and oil in to the sugar and zest.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Stir in lemon juice and sour cream.
- Mix in flour mixture until smooth and creamy.
- Pour half the batter into prepared pan.
- Top with ½ cup of the lemon curd
- Pour remaining batter over the lemon curd
- Spoon the ¼ cup lemon curd on top of the batter and using a knife, swirl the lemon curd over the top of the loaf in any pattern you would like. ( I use an S pattern)
- Bake in preheated oven for 40-50 minutes. If the loaf starts to brown too much, cover with foil for last 10- 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes
- Remove from pan and finish cooling for 30 to 40 minutes before cutting.
- Store leftover cake in the fridge in an air-tight container or wrapped in plastic wrap.
I love how the lemon curd is incoporated into this recipe! My family loves everything lemon so this lemon curd cake is going on the menu! Silly question…do you have a lemon zester you love? This seems to be a struggle for me as each one I have purchased just doesn’t seem to work!
I like to use a Microplane, which can be used for many other foods like parmesan, nutmeg and chocolate. My favourite is made by Star Frit, but there are similar ones that work just as well.
Oh wow. That looks good. I’ve been looking for some new cake recipes as the holidays are nearing. Thanks!
Nicely done and delicious. BTW, I second the recommendation of a Microplane — they are great.
Delicious cake! I love the trick with mixing lemon zest in sugar first. It brings out a lovely and intense lemon flavour!