Pizza rolls are easy to make and are great for a snack. Made with egg roll wrappers, they are crusty on the outside and cheesy on the inside.
Even Kids Can Make These Pizza Rolls
I remember learning to make these. My mom and I would spend a couple of hours making large batches of these and freezing them. Then we could take out a few and deep fry them when we got a craving.
When I started making them myself, I would make them just like my mother made them and freeze them for later. I would spend hours making large batches to have on hand.
Then I tried cooking them before freezing them so I didn’t have to haul out the deep fryer every time someone wanted a few pizza rolls. It worked. They were just as tasty as the way my mom made them. Precooked pizza rolls can be reheated easily in a 350°F oven until cooked through, about 20 minutes.
Either way, these are delicious snacks. They are also a great snack for sleepovers and parties. Everyone knows kids love pizza. And these are no exceptions.
Ingredients For the Filling
The filling can be made up of any combination of pizza toppings. Pepperoni, cooked sausage crumbles, bacon, peppers, mushrooms. Anything that you would put on a pizza can be added to these rolls. We have changed the cheese as well. Sometimes using Gouda, Havarti, or cheddar in place of mozzarella.
My kids love them for lunch or dinner as well with a side of carrot and celery sticks.
Storing The Pizza Rolls
If you are freezing the rolls before cooking, freeze them on a pan lined with parchment in a single layer. Once frozen, transfer to freezer bags or air-tight containers and store in the freezer for up to six months.
If you cook them before freezing, let them cool completely before storing them in freezer bags or containers for freezing.
Cook from frozen so they don’t become soggy from thawing out.
Of course, you don’t have to freeze them at all. You can make smaller batches and enjoy them immediately. They can also be stored in the fridge once cooked for up to 3 days and reheated in the oven or microwave.
- 1 package egg roll wrappers
- 1 jar pizza sauce
- 1 package sliced pepperoni
- 1 package mozzarella, shredded
- any other toppings, such as pepper, mushrooms, diced
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 quart vegetable oil, for frying
- Whisk together egg and water in a small bowl and set aside
- Working with one egg roll wrapper at a time, lay flat on a clean surface, with one corner facing you, like a diamond shape.
- Add 1 tsp of pizza sauce, 2-3 slices of pepperoni and 1 Tbsp of cheese in center of wrapper.
- Brush edges of wrapper with egg mixture
- Fold two corners in to center of wrapper, then fold up bottom and roll up to form a cylinder shape.
- Place on parchment lined pan, and continue until all wrappers have been used, or desired number of pizza rolls are made. At this point, pizza rolls can be frozen.
- Heat oil to 350°F in a heavy bottomed pot or deep fryer
- Add 2-3 pizza rolls to heated oil. Cook 5-7 minutes, turning over to cook all sides
- Remove to wire rack placed over a cookie sheet to drain excess oil.
- Serve hot with additional pizza sauce for dipping