Easy to make, slow cooker recipe for Pulled Buffalo Chicken. There are many different ways to use this chicken so it never gets boring.
Pulled Chicken Equals More Servings
The one thing about any meat that is pulled, it makes the meat go further. Anytime we make pulled pork or pulled chicken, the meat ends up making more servings than if you were to just serve the meat whole.
Because the meat is pulled or shredded, and it is served on a bun or added to other foods, the pulled chicken will go further than if you were to serve it whole.
For this recipe, four chicken breasts are used, about 2 pounds. This recipe feeds our current family of 6 and we usually have some leftovers for one or two lunches.
Why Use a Slow Cooker?
Using a slow cooker to make this recipe gives you the freedom to go about your day without having to really worry about watching over dinner.
This recipe is one in that you put everything in the slow cooker and leave it for 4 to 6 hours before you really have to do anything with it.
And the great thing about this recipe is that when it is ready, you can set the slow cooker to keep warm and eat when you are ready. This is especially handy when you make this recipe for game day or a get-together where everyone is eating at a different time.
During football season, I will make a double batch of this recipe and have it ready for the first game on Sunday and our teens help themselves throughout the day to this Pulled Buffalo Chicken. It will last through to the Sunday night game on the keep-warm setting.
Ingredients to Make This Recipe
Boneless, skinless chicken works best for this recipe. Chicken breasts or thighs can be used. A combination of breasts and thighs also works well.
Which Hot Sauce to Use?
Frank’s Red Hot Sauce is our go-to for making this recipe. But we have used other brands as well.
The great thing about this recipe is that you can use whatever hot sauce you have on hand and you can make it as hot as you like it.
Unlike most Buffalo Chicken recipes, this one does not have butter. Instead, I add cream cheese to get a creamier texture. The cream cheese also cuts some of the heat without compromising the taste.
There are only four spices in this recipe plus salt and pepper.
- Cayenne pepper
- Paprika (Smoked Paprika is what I use)
- Granulated Garlic
- Granulated onion
Ways To Serve Pulled Buffalo Chicken
There are many ways to serve Pulled Buffalo Chicken:
- On a bun. This is the kids’ favourite way to eat this chicken. Sometimes they toast the buns, other times they don’t. You can add mustard or more hot sauce to the sandwich. Ranch sauce is also a good choice to top this chicken.
- Wraps. Whether you use tortillas or lettuce wraps, this chicken is great on a wrap with your favourite toppings.
What To Serve With Pulled Buffalo Chicken
No matter how you serve this chicken, there is a side that goes well with it. Here are just a few ideas:
- Raw Vegetables. Carrots and celery are our go-tos.
- Coleslaw. This can also be used to top sandwiches or wraps.
- Potato Salad
- Potato Wedges
- Potato Chips
How To Store Leftovers
Any leftover chicken can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container. It will keep for up to 3 days.
Leftovers can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
Reheat leftovers in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through.
Pulled Buffalo Chicken
- Slow Cooker
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken
- ¼ cup sodium reduced chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1½ Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp granulated garlic
- ½ Tbsp granulated onion
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper, more if you want it spicier
- 1½ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp pepper
- 6-8 dashes hot sauce, more if you like it hotter
- ½ block of cream cheese, (4 ounces)
- Add all ingredients to slow cooker, except the cream cheese
- Cook on low for 6 hours, high for 4 hours.
- Using tongs or two forks, shred the chicken.
- Cut cream cheese into cubes and add to chicken.
- Cover and cook additional 30 minutes, stir after 30 minutes, continue cooking until cheese is all combined.
- Serve on buns or wraps.
I love to make this in the Instant Pot! It will always be one of my favorite recipes!
Pulled pork sandwiches are one of my favorite things, and making it in a slow cooker makes it even better!
Can’t wait to try this one!
This was amazing! Perfect for a busy day where you need some good food
Yum, a chicken sandwich sounds so good! I will have to try making this.
mmmm looks delish!
I can’t believe how easy is this recipe. I’ll try making it this weekend for my family. Thank you for the idea 🙂
This sounds and looks amazing. My husband loves to cook with the slow cooker and this was a perfect recipe for him to prepare. Delicious.
this pulled chicken recipe is SO moist and juicy! we love that we can cook in the slow cooker!
I saw this on IG and hadddd to come by and check out the recipe! I’m so glad I did!!
That looks really good. I’m sure my meat eating family will like this recipe
I need to try this recipe.
great idea! Nice change from pulled pork as some of my friends don’t eat it