Buttery, rich and soft, and these M&M Blondies are so easy to make. Perfect for any time of year but especially great at Christmas time.
Blondie vs Brownie
We have all heard of brownies. They are a very popular treat and dessert. But have you ever had a Blondie?
A blondie is like a brownie but without chocolate. Sometimes there are chocolate chips added. But blondies are essentially a brownie without cocoa powder or chocolate added to the batter.
There is also more vanilla in Blondies than in a brownie batter.
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to consumers. Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. If you click these links and make a purchase we may earn a commission. Keep in mind that we link these products because of their quality, not because of the commission we may receive from purchases.
Ingredients for M&M Blondies
There are a total of nine ingredients in this recipe.
- Butter. Every good cookie bar recipe starts with butter. Margarine can be used in place of the butter but the cookie bars won’t be as rich.
- Brown Sugar. This is actually a liquid ingredient and it is needed to add moisture to the bars as well as flavour.
- White sugar. There is only a small amount of white sugar in this recipe but it is needed to add an extra layer of sweetness.
- Eggs. Not only the glue that holds the batter together but eggs also add moisture and help build the texture of the bars.
- Vanilla Extract. Enhances the flavour of the cookie bars.
- Baking Soda.
- All Purpose Flour.
- Chocolate Chips. These can be semi-sweet, dark chocolate or milk chocolate.
M&Ms In Place Of Some of The Chocolate Chips
The addition of M&Ms in these blondies changes the flavour. You can use regular M&Ms or minis. The choice is yours.
Around Christmas, there are special edition M&Ms which are the ones I like to use. Our favourite is the Mint M&Ms which are available around Christmas time only. I have also used the White Chocolate Peppermint M&Ms as well as a combination of the two. These flavours of M&Ms come in red, green and white which add that festive look to the blondies.
Great For Special Occasions
I love to make these and add them to Christmas baskets to give to all my friends. By using Christmas M&Ms, it adds Christmas colours to the blondies, making them more festive.
M&Ms also come in special occasion colours at different times of the year. Pink for Valentine’s Day. Pastel colours at Easter. With all the colours available, these M&M Blondies can be made for any occasion.
Share These M&M Blondies With Friends and Family
This recipe makes a larger batch than a usual blondie recipe. I created this recipe for sharing. It has also been a hit with bake sales for our sons’ football games as well as bake sales at school.
We also have a large family (10 children is considered a large family these days). So these don’t last long in our house.
This recipe will make 35 servings. (See how to store it below).
Pan For Baking The Blondies
This recipe is baked on a cookie sheet. The best size is a 15″ x 10″ pan with raised edges like a jelly roll pan.
If you don’t have a pan that size, a 13″ x 9″ cake pan will also work. This will make a thicker blondie and the baking time will be longer. If using a cake pan, the baking time should be extended to 30-35 minutes.
Storing M&M Blondies
Storing these is easy. After cooling, cut into squares and store in an air-tight container for up to 5 days.
These blondies also freeze well if wrapped in parchment paper and placed in an air-tight container or freezer bag. In the freezer, these blondies will keep for up to three months. Thaw at room temperature.
Need the ingredients to make this recipe? Why not try Voilà and have it delivered or order for curbside pick up?
- Hand Mixer or Stand Mixer
- 1½ cups butter, melted, cooled slightly
- 1¼ cups brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1¼ cups M&Ms, divided
- ½ cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Line a 15" x 10" cookie sheet with parchment paper, allowing parchment paper to hang over the sides about an inch on each side
- Beat melted butter and sugars together, until smooth and creamy
- Beat in eggs and vanilla
- Add in baking soda
- Using low speed, beat in flour, ½ cup at a time, until all flour is just incorporated
- Fold in 1 cup of M&Ms and chocolate chips.
- Spread batter evenly on cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle remaining ¼ cup M&Ms over the top of the batter
- Bake for 25 minutes or until edges are browned. Centre will still be soft
- Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes
- Remove from pan using parchment paper to help lift the blondies out
- Cut into 35 squares and serve.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.