Looking for the perfect companion for dipping chips, topping burgers or tacos, or making mac and cheese? Look no further. This Velveeta Nacho Cheese Sauce is the perfect blend of smooth, creamy cheese and fresh vegetables that will add a delicious kick to your favourite meals and snacks.
Cheese is one of our favourite snacks. We almost always have some kind of queso or cheese dip in our fridge. And we have a lot of different recipes for using all kinds of cheese. This easy cheese sauce is our go-to for so many reasons.
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to consumers. Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. If you click these links and make a purchase we may earn a commission. Keep in mind that we link these products because of their quality, not because of the commission we may receive from purchases.
What is Velveeta Cheese?
Velveeta is a cheese product that melts easily. It has a smooth and creamy texture that makes it perfect for making queso and cheese sauces. And this recipe is no exception. Velveeta makes this sauce creamy and delicious.
It does contain cheese but because it also contains other ingredients it cannot be labeled as cheese, therefore it is a cheese product. We do not normally use a lot of processed products, and Velveeta does fall under that category, but it is so good when melted that we cannot resist using it in many of our recipes.
Velveeta Nacho Cheese Sauce Has So Many Uses
There is a reason this sauce is our go-to cheese sauce. It has so many uses and is so quick and easy to make. In about 30 minutes, you have a sauce that can be used for so many recipes and dishes.
- Use as a sauce for Mac and Cheese. Pour over cooked macaroni and stir to make a quick and easy mac and cheese that is sure to please.
- Drizzle over nachos for added flavour. Or serve on the side for dipping.
- Make hot dogs better by topping them with chili and this cheese sauce. This also works for burgers.
- This sauce is perfect for pouring over broccoli taking broccoli and cheese to a new level.
- Tacos, burritos, and enchiladas can all use this sauce drizzled on top or as a dip.
These are only a few ideas for using this sauce. Our kids like to use it on so many other foods, like dipping Doritos, corn dogs, and vegetables.
The great thing about this sauce is that it can be made outside on the BBQ or over a campfire. We keep the sauce warm outside by placing it on the griddle while we are cooking tacos and burritos.
Other Ingredients Used in This Recipe
This recipe starts with a roux. It is made by melting butter, and then adding flour and spices to form a thickening agent that is essential to this sauce.
Milk and buttermilk are whisked into the roux to start the base of the sauce before adding Velveeta. yes, buttermilk. It has a creamier texture and is thicker than regular milk. It is responsible for making this sauce creamier and giving it a different flavour that milk alone cannot achieve.
The last ingredients are diced fresh jalapenos, white onion, and tomatoes. Some recipes like this one use salsa or Ro-Tel in place of the vegetables but we prefer using fresh vegetables. This is especially good in the summer when we use fresh jalapenos and tomatoes right out of our garden.
Can Velveeta Nacho Cheese Sauce Be Made Ahead?
It is best if this cheese sauce is served as soon as it is made, but it can be made ahead if you are using it the same day. I sometimes make this sauce in the morning and reheated it for dinner that night. Keeping it in the fridge for up to three days is possible if you want to use it a little at a time.
To reheat, place the sauce in a small pot over low heat. Stir often to avoid burning to the bottom of the pot. Add a tablespoon or two of milk while heating if the sauce is really thick. More milk may be needed if the sauce has been in the fridge for more than 12 hours.
Looking for more Velveeta recipes?
Velveeta is one of those versatile ingredients that can be used in so many ways. We use it for all kinds of cheesy dishes.
Need the ingredients to make this recipe? Why not try Voilà and have it delivered or order for curbside pick up?
Velveeta Nacho Cheese Sauce
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 8 oz Velveeta, cubed
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
- ½ medium-sized white onion, diced
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, diced
- Melt the butter in a pot over medium-low heat
- Sprinkle flour slowly into melted butter, whisking constantly
- Add salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper.
- Continue whisking until flour is incorporated and the mixture resembled a paste
- Slowly pour in milk while whisking.
- Whisk in buttermilk.
- Bring to a simmer, whisking constantly.
- Add cubed Velveeta and continue stirring with a large spoon, until Velveeta is melted.
- Stir in jalapenos, onion, and tomatoes.
- Cook additional 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve warm.