This is one of the easiest and most versatile chicken recipes. Anyone can make this recipe and it can be used in so many ways. Easy Shredded Chicken is one of the most versatile recipes I have made. It is also a great recipe for meal planning.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. If you click these links and make a purchase we may earn a commission. Keep in mind that we link these companies and their products because of their quality, not because of the commission we may receive from purchases.
Inspiration For this Recipe
The first time I made this recipe was a few years ago on Halloween when I needed something quick for the kids to eat before going trick or treating. I knew there wouldn’t be much time to tend to supper. There would be makeup to do and last-minute costume alterations. I also had the doorbell ringing with younger kids out trick or treating before dark.
While the kids were at school, I cooked the chicken ahead of time and shredded it. Then all I had to do was pop it back in the oven to heat it up, fill the taco shells and dinner was ready.
Different Ways to Use Easy-Shredded Chicken
Since that night, I have used this recipe in tacos, enchiladas, burritos, and quesadillas. It has been used to top salads and nachos. Add to a wrap with lettuce, tomato, and cheese for a quick lunch. Shredded chicken is a good cold mixed with mayo and hot sauce for chicken salad. One of my favourites is serving it cold on a lettuce wedge for a quick lunch.
During summer, I make this recipe on the barbecue, to avoid heating up the house. Usually, I will make a double or triple batch to have on hand for the week. Once shredded, I add the chicken to pasta salads for lunches and keep some chicken shredded in an airtight container in the fridge for quick lunches.
Shredded Chicken Ingredients
The ingredients in this recipe are simple and ones that I always have on hand
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- freshly ground pepper
- chicken breasts
- chicken stock
If these spices are not ones you keep on hand, taco seasoning can be substituted for the spices. My daughter has made this using 1/3 cup Club House Taco Seasoning mix in place of the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and onion powder. I prefer using spices but this option can be used as well. If using taco seasoning, you may have to adjust the salt in the recipe.
Leftover Shredded Chicken can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the fridge. Reheat in the microwave when ready to use.
Easy Shredded Chicken
- 2 Tbsp Cumin
- 2 Tbsp Chili powder
- 1 Tbsp granulated garlic
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 kilogram boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup reduced sodium chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 300°F
- Line a baking dish with parchment paper.
- Mix all spices together.
- Place chicken in a bowl and coat with the spice mix.
- Add coated chicken breasts to prepared baking dish
- Pour chicken stock over chicken breasts
- Cover dish tightly with foil
- Cook in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and internal temperature is 165°F
- Remove from oven and let rest covered for 10 minutes
- Remove chicken to a cutting board and reserve liquid
- Shred chicken or chop into small pieces
- Toss shredded chicken with reserved liquid, adding liquid a tablespoon at a time to keep chicken moist
- Serve on tortillas with taco sauce, lettuce, tomato and cheese